Little is known of the original Upton Hall, it is known that both the Hall and the manor of Upton where bought from the Bolds, who had held the manor for six generations, by Robert Davies in 1614. In the 1730s the Hall was occupied by Richard Worral and his wife Dorothy. Richard was a Yeoman and they had at least two children, William and Margaret.
John Webster bought the hall and its land from Thomas Clarke in 1798, Thomas Peacock was tenant at the time and he remained in occupation until 1803, in which year the land tax assessments show John Webster in occupation.
J.H.Hanshall in his book, "The History of the County Palatine of Chester", which was published in 1817 describes the hall as:
... a heavy low building, with bay windows, built on the best situation in the village.
The present Upton Hall was built in the early eighteen hundreds by the Webster family, who for many years held the manorship of Upton.
The Hall was rented by William Inman in 1854, who stayed there only long enough to build Upton Manor on land between Upton and Moreton.
In 1861 William Webster decided to sell Upton Hall, the following advert appeared in the 29th July, 1861 edition of the Liverpool Daily Post:
UPTON HALL - To be SOLD, by Private Treaty, all that MANSION called "Upton Hall", eligibly situated, four miles from Birkenhead, with the outbuildings, walled garden, pleasure grounds and plantations thereto belonging, and with either the whole or any part of the land. The Hall contains four entertaining rooms, fifteen bedrooms, servants' hall, kitchen, &c - Apply to William Webster, Esq, Upton Hall; or to Mr George Webster, Solicitor, York-buildings, Dale Street, Liverpool.
The FCJ sisters bought Upton Hall from the Websters in December, 1862. The sisters built a new three storey extension before moving their girls boarding school from Lingdale House the following year.
In March 1974 the original nineteenth century building was given Grade II listed status, the official description is as follows:
... House, now part of school. c1840. Stucco over brick, roof not visible behind parapet. 2 storeys, square in plan with central entrance hall. Symmetrical 3-window range with central doorway in portico porch with paired Tuscan columns flanked by 16-pane sash windows. Window over door in moulded architrave with entablature. Moulded cornice and blocking course over. Sill band returns to plain sashed side elevations. Axial stack. ...
The FCJ sisters stiill operate Upton Hall School, but since 1972 it has been a day school only.
In 1998, the convent was closed and the building was taken over by the school to provide additional teaching space. The last FCJ sister to live in the convent was Sister Mary Joseph Pemberton.
Click here for more details of Upton Hall as a School.
Do you have any pictures of Upton, or of events in and around Upton either old or not so old?
Do you have any documents, newspaper cuttings or other information relating to Upton or the surrounding area?
Do you have any stories about Upton or the surrounding area?